It’s the most wonderful time of the year! It’s also the long-awaited moment. Today marks the end of the anticipation as the winners of the "Exceptional Lawyer-2023" competition will finally be revealed.
“Exceptional Lawyer-2023” competition, now happening for the second time, is an annual tradition that aims to recognize and honor defense lawyers for their outstanding dedication and accomplishments in safeguarding human rights. It also acknowledges their significant contributions to advancing advocacy and strengthening the justice system within the Republic of Uzbekistan. It is organized by the Chamber of Advocates of the Republic of Uzbekistan in cooperation with Regional Dialogue with the support of the Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labour of the US Department of State.
This year, as part of the “Exceptional Lawyer-2023” competition, awards are announced in 6 categories:
1. Sanjar Yakubov Award for Professional Excellence (Recognizes the defense lawyers for utmost professionalism and competence in the field of law, and with outstanding achievements in defense);
2. Richard Stoddard Award for Exceptional Contribution to Legal Reforms (Recognizes the defense lawyers for exceptional efforts in making positive changes to the justice system of the Republic of Uzbekistan);
3. Rising Star Award (Recognizes defense lawyers younger than 35 years of age);
4. Award for Defense of Women and Children Against Violence (Recognizes the defense lawyers for exceptional efforts in protecting the rights of women and children against violence);
5. Award for Defense of Disadvantaged and Vulnerable Groups (Recognizes the defense lawyers for exceptional efforts in protecting the rights of disadvantaged people and vulnerable groups);
6. Award for Contribution to Public Legal Literacy (Recognizes the defense lawyers for exceptional efforts in raising the legal literacy of ordinary people).